[Distutils] The $0.02 of a packager ;-)

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:09:51 -0500

Quoth Oliver Andrich, on 04 February 1999:
> > [I dismiss dealing with dependencies on non-Python stuff]
>
> Hm.. this is something I would have expected that distutils include. I have
> seen distutils a little bit like autoconf or so for Python in Python. Not as
> powerful, but with some basic features of autoconf. Cause this is information
> the developer can easily provide. But if this is possible to implement is the
> other question.

There are some possible partial solutions: list C libraries that this
module depends on, and if a test program compiles and links, it's
there.  Ditto for header files.  But testing versions?  Things more
complicated than normal C libraries?  You'd need a way for developers to
supply chunks of test C code, just the way autoconf does it... ugh...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                      voice: +1-703-620-8990 x287