[Distutils] Weekly/biweekly development report?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:24:58 -0500 (EST)

In the Distutils-SIG, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>Perhaps a special 'distutils SIG' status report, posted once every while
>and updating everybody on developments would be useful to attract
>interest. And what about something in the Python Journal?

	A recent trend for development projects has been to issue a
summary of activity at periodic intervals.  It may have started with
the development summary at Linux Weekly News, but it's been picked up
by other groups such as the Debian GNU/Linux distribution and
Mozilla.org.  There are also development diaries from various people,
most notably Alan Cox:

LWN Development page for this week:
	http://www.lwn.net/1999/0114/devel.phtml
LWN Kernel development page for this week:
	http://www.lwn.net/1999/0114/kernel.phtml
Debian Weekly News:
	http://www.debian.org/~joeyh/debiannews.html
Mozilla.org status update:
	http://www.mozilla.org/status/
Linux kernel update:
	http://lynx.neu.edu/z/zbrown/kt.html
Alan Cox's diary:
	http://www.linux.org.uk/diary/

Should we attempt to have a monthly summary of Python development
activity?  This is slightly different from the Python-URL postings,
which aren't focused exclusively on development, and don't have much
editorial commentary.  I like LWN's habit of occasionally commenting
on the news, saying "This flamewar was rather pointless" or "This
recent argument was upsetting because...".

The Python version of this might look like:

Distutils SIG:
	Greg Ward posted a proposed interface (URL to a copy).  Once
some people have commented on it, implementation work should begin.

Zope:
	DC released new database adapters X,Y,Z.
	Skip Montanaro announced thing W.

Python-list:
	Endless discussion of assignment in while statements; GvR said
he's not interested.

...etc...

Pulling together the information requires several volunteers, because
no one can possibly be reading every single relevant mailing list and
newsgroup.  How could that be made workable?  Have a central editor?
A CGI script which lets anyone add suggested items, which an editor
draws upon for each issue and then gets cleaned out when the issue is
released?  Include it as part of the Python Journal?

	Suggestions?

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
He told me he was having the time of his life and then fell to the floor