[Distutils] Beginnings of a C/C++ compiler interface

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:09:53 +0200

[ccompiler.py]

Looks nice. Somethings that might be of use for the build process
writer:

· a way to test compiler features a la configure, e.g. a simple
  way to pass a small C program and evaluate the compiler error
  message (error or no error should suffice)

· a way to test the availability of (shared) libs in much
  the same way, e.g. try to link an empty object file against a set
  of given libs to see if the linker finds the libs or not

· a way to access the compiler/linker name and version

Apart from this, I would also need a standard way to figure out
the platform. os.uname() does help a bit, but it usually does not
include e.g. the Linux distribution name or libc version. Is there
a way to add APIs for these to the distutils ? [I need the
distribution name to be able to preset paths to libs.]

If these things are already included in the distutils please
ignore this message: I'm only following this list every now
and then... you're doing a great job, BTW :-)

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   174 days left