[Distutils] Re: Add multiple frozen modules

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:24:03 -0700

James C. Ahlstrom wrote:

> Gordon McMillan wrote:
> > On Windows, this means you can have a complete Python installation
> > (independent of any other Python installation) in a single directory:
> >
> > myPython/
> >  python.exe    (and/or pythonw.exe)
> >  python15.dll  (completely vanilla)
> >  py_lib.pyz
> >  exceptions.py (from the std distr)
> >  site.py       (hacked to load all the .pyz's)
> >  [any other .pyd's or .dll's you want]
> >  [more .pyz's if you want]
> >  [more .py's if you want]
>
> But the normal PYTHON/Registry stuff is used to find
> site.py, no?  Is there any guarantee that the correct
> site.py and exceptions.py will be found?  The myPython/
> directory may not be on the path.

In my "small" distribution, I was able to take advantage of the fact
that python.exe looks in the current directory for site.py if there is
nothing in the registry. The site.py then proceeds to bootstrap the
import system.

Gordon has an excellent writeup of the process on his website and/or in
the README in his distribution (forget which). My small distribution,
links to some discussion about it, and a reference to Gordon's distro is
available at: http://www.lyra.org/greg/small/

Cheers,
-g

--