[Distutils] Re: Add multiple frozen modules

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:33:39 +0200

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> James C. Ahlstrom asks:
>
> > Gordon McMillan wrote:
> > > On Windows, this means you can have a complete Python installation
> > > (independent of any other Python installation) in a single directory:

> > But the normal PYTHON/Registry stuff is used to find
> > site.py, no?  Is there any guarantee that the correct
> > site.py and exceptions.py will be found?  The myPython/
> > directory may not be on the path.
>
> Not if you deliberately
> SET PYTHONPATH=.
> which cuts the registry out entirely.

This is what I use for standalone apps. We just drop the whole
tree into the application. site.py lives in the Python directory,
as a special version. This suffices, since then no other path
than "." is needed to boot.

> For my installer / standalone, I deliberately muck with the
> environment before loading python and executing the "main" script.

And that's the only annoyance: You need to take care of
environment space, which is unfortunately not big enough
very often. I think a special python.exe for this purpose
would be handy, which just ignores all registry, sets
the path to the executable's directory, and done.

ciao - chris   (who really hates to muck with anyone's registry)

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net