[Distutils] Re: Add multiple frozen modules

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:31:29 +0200

James C. Ahlstrom wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> > Just a note here: the new DLL should *not* be named python15.dll,
> > since this is likely to cause incompatible setups -- why not call
> > it pylib15.dll or something similar. This DLL would then only
> > include the frozen modules and live happily alongside of the
> > standard python15.dll. Only the EXE would know about the frozen
> > modules in pylib15.dll (with the extra magic to include them
> > as frozen modules in sys).
>
> I don't have a problem with including the frozen libs as a
> seperate DLL.  But I don't think the main.exe needs to be
> involved at all on Windows.  Remember on Windows all of Python
> including import.c is in python15.dll.

AFAIK (and that only refers to Unix), freeze.py builds a custom
main program which includes the frozen mods as static data.
I'm not sure whether it also includes a custom import.c -- I think
the hooks are there for the modified main.c to use... have to
look into this a little closer sometime.

> We may be having Unix/Windows mind set problems.  I am saying
> that the frozen libs (however they are packaged) are controlled
> by the module containing Python and import.c.  On Windows that
> is python15.dll, on Unix it is often the main.
>
> By the way, if you can test a Windows CGI setup, I would be happy
> to send you a hacked python15.dll which might solve your module
> load problems.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm running Unix for CGI things.
There are some people out on c.l.p which would like to use cgipython
+ DLLs though, so you might want to publish your modified DLL
somewhere for them to download.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   168 days left