[Distutils] RE: autoconf in distutils

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 19:47:57 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Hi,

I've been following distutils with interest and would like to share a few
thoughts:
	* Some people may wish to compile blind or get feedback as it goes
	  ie a known working product ppl probably just want to know when
	  the build is finished.  For an in-development one they may want
 	  compile time feedback

	* During install stage, people may want feedback or a "quiet"
	  install.

	* People may wish to import makefiles and output them in a
	  platform specific format (ie Visual C for debugging).  This
	  could be done by merging David Aschers compy program into
	  distutil.  Distutil could have a load and save option to perform
	  this

My concern is, how do we abstract the "interaction" between the user and
distutil?  This is assuming that we have a class which is over-ridden
platform by platform to provide an appropiate interface

Cheers,

Anthony Pfrunder
Computer Systems Engineering
University of Queensland