[Distutils] autoconf in distutils?

Michael Muller mmuller@enduden.com
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:20:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

[snip]
> One thing that might also be of interest is an abstract mechanism
> for checking the system's installation, e.g. on RedHat and SuSE
> one could use RPM to get information about which tools are available.
> Don't know about other systems though (on Windows one could probably
> query the registry). That way one could create scripts of the
> form:
[snip]

I'm kind of partial to using (and updating) the RPM databases on any system
in which they are found to exist.  If the Windows registry has the same
information, it could be used instead.  For systems in which neither exists,
I recommend the use of a pure python version of such a thing.

I'm more concerned with this as a means of guaranteeing package dependencies
than of checking for installation/compilation tools.

michaelMuller = proteus@cloud9.net | http://www.cloud9.net/~proteus
We are explorers in the further reaches of experience: demons to some, angels
to others.  - "Pinhead" from "Hellraiser"