[Distutils] Re: Add multiple frozen modules

Mark Hammond mhammond@bigpond.net.au
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:03:18 +1000

> After writing some code, I see that the library file needs to
> be a little different.  We need to add the file size so all fseek()'s
> can be done relative to the end.  That enables the file to be appended
> to the executable.  The offsets written to the file are from ftell()
> and are relative to the beginning.  The length is subtracted on
> access.

I havent been following this thread as closely as I would like, but I am a
little confused.  Are we building yet another packager here, or is this
work building on the work Gordon currently "owns"?

> I have almost finished makepyl.py, a Python program which creates a
> PYL file or lists its contents.  And C-code changes to import.c to
> be able to import from a PYL file.  However, I am a little short of

If I recall correctly, when Greg posted his version of what grew into
Gordon's, there was discussion over the direction import.c should take.
Are your patches in line with that?  Im just thinking that poor Guido has
already discussed this once, so may be reluctant to accept new hacks when
the correct direction has been mapped out.  As far as I can see, Gordon's
code works fine without C level changes, so Im a little unsure what
direction this is going, and exactly what this is solving that Gordon's
doesnt.

Mark.