[Distutils] inertia

David Ascher da@ski.org
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:13:44 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

I'm reorganizing the PyOpenGL source tree.  I'd love to move to a
distutils distribution process instead of my current complicated homegrown
system.  However, I'm not willing to do that without the ability to
generate .so's simply on Unices (I can do the win32 portion, see below).
Is anyone working on this? I'd hoped to have the distribution story moved
along further by the time the ORA conference rolls around, but it's not
looking likely.

Here's a dare:  if someone does the Unix .c->.so->'simple installation'
process, I'll do the win32 equivalent.  My guess is that the first step is
a pseudo-parse of the Makefile.pre.in file, no?

Once the compilation process is in place (even buggy), it makes it more
likely for others to contribute snippets for e.g. RPM generation, etc.

--david