[Distutils] Re: chmod symbolic mode parser

Andrew Dalke dalke@bioreason.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:09:12 -0800

If anyone is interested, I have implemented an "install" program
compatable with the GNU version, excepting internalization and
a bug I think is in their code.  I placed a copy at
ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/dalke/install.py for your
enjoyment.  It uses the Python license, which is doable since
I never looked at the GNU source code.

Its reason for being is that I think it could be useful for the
distutils-sig, and because we (my company) needs something like
it for distributing our own software on different platforms not
all of which will have "install", and because, well, because it
was there.

I've tested it pretty well; not fully, but enough that I'm having
problems coming up with new test cases.

'Course, now that I've finished that project I started looking at
Greg Ward's initial distutils CVS distribution, and I see we have
some overlap, though I like my "_mkdir" over his "mkpath", and
I now understand why he copied and modified shutil.copy  :)

						Andrew
						dalke@bioreason.com