[Distutils] generating pyc and pyo files

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:03:45 -0800

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Greg Ward says:

Actually, it was "Greg Stein" :-)

> > Compiling in the build area before installation means that you can
> > install them with arbitrary privileges, owner, and group. That gets
> > tricker using compileall.py.
> >
> > For example, let's say that "root" is doing an installation and the
> > target should be owned by bin:bin. Can't do that with compileall.py,
> > AFAIK.
>
> Sure, you cannot do that with compileall, but you can in the
> Makefile.  After all, this is pretty much identical to setting
> the right permissions for compiled emacs files.

That was my point. Nothing complicated or devious. Simply that if you do
the compile into the local "build" area, then you can use "install" to
copy them to the install area with the right permissions (and if you're
root, with the right owner/group).

You asked which would be best. I suggested "build" area with the above
point as a reason.

Cheers,
-g

--