[Distutils] More about packages

Michel Sanner sanner@scripps.edu
Mon, 3 May 1999 15:04:26 -0700

It seems to me that the platform dependent and independent trees of a Python
installation are not symetric in some sense:

on one side we have:

$prefix/include/python$version/
$prefix/lib/python$version/
$prefix/man

on the other side

$exec_prefix/bin
$exec_prefix/include/python$version
$exec_prefix/lib/python$version/config
$exec_prefix/lib/python$version/lib-dynload
$exec_prefix/lib/python$version/site-packages

what bothers me is that we do not have that extra level under lib in the
platform independent tree. I'd like to have something like:

$prefix/lib/python$version/standard/  (equivalent of lib-dynload)
$prefix/lib/python$version/packages/  (for paltform independant packages)

and these directories should be part of the Python PATH built by default.

I am not sure where pur Python packages are supposed to be installed right now
?

-Michel