[Distutils] extensions in packages

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri, 21 May 1999 17:07:45 +0200

> >Backwards compatible with what? Currently builtin modules can't be
> >in packages at all, so nothing's lost.
>
> But DLLs *can* be (that's the whole point, no?). If the rules for the init
> func changes, I think at least Marc-Andre L. won't be too happy: all (?) of
> his extensions use DLLs as submodules, so he would need to add switches to
> remain compatible with 1.5.2. I'm sure he's not the only one.

I admit I hadn't thought about the possibility that someone might have
used dynamic libraries in packages already; my development cycles
always include statically linked modules at some stage, so all
extension modules remain top-level.

Which makes me wonder how others develop extension modules: I always
use a debugger at some point, and I haven't yet found one which lets
me set breakpoints in dynamic libraries that haven't been loaded yet!

Konrad.