[Distutils] complete GNU readline support, packaging issues

Ovidiu Predescu ovidiu@cup.hp.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 09:32:41 -0700

Hi,

I've just started with Python and I discovered that the binding to the GNU
readline is really basic. So about a week ago I started working on a binding
for it and I have most of the work done. I need to finish the bindings for
keymap functions and some of the functions in the completion part before the
package could be considered complete.

I started to investigate the ways to package the work I've done and I
discovered the distutil package. I'm trying to write a setup.py file, but I
need the following things and I didn't figure out how to express them:

- the main C file is obtained by running the m4 program on a .m4 file. How can
I specify this dependency and the rule for generating the C file?

- I need to define a C preprocessor macro that contains the version of the
readline library. The way the things are setup now is by running a configure
script that determines the version of the library. Can I do this with setup.py?

Thanks,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>