[Distutils] Random bits

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:07:25 -0500

Some things I came across while adding distutils support to some code:

	* From a docstring in distutils/versions.py:
        0.4       0.4.0  (these two are equivalent)
        0.4.1

Does this mean that 0.4.1 is equivalent to 0.41 in the strict
versioning class?  I'd suggest adding that, just to make it crystal
clear.

	* The name option in setup.py: It's not clear if it can/should
contain spaces; given that you mention underscores, I assume they're
as space substitutes.

	* Building a distribution: it creates hard links to files.
This means that if you delete a file and rebuild the dist without
erasing the hard-link-filled subdir, the deleted file is still present
in the distribution.  It's probably easiest to blow away the whole
<product>-<version> directory, rather than attempting to scan its
contents and update it.

    "I don't think we should interfere."
    "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at,
that's what I say."
    -- Romana and the Doctor, in "Nightmare of Eden"