[Distutils] Sample setup.py for Numeric Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:35:43 +0200

David Ascher wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > AFAIK, you don't need the def-files anymore. All you have to do
> > is use a tag on every function you wish to export in the source
> > code. Python already works this way and so do all my extensions
> > (the needed macros are in the file mxh.h).
>
> But that requires modifying the source, which is IMHO unacceptable.

Why is that unacceptable ? After all, package authors do have
access to the code and know their way around ;-) Better drop
the old def-file stuff and move to more modern ways of
intergrating the information into the code...

> There is an alternative which is to specify the exports w/ a command line
> switch.

...and perhaps add this as backup solution. Note that the /EXPORT:symbol
you need for every symbol may well fill up the available command
line argument memory (not sure how much there is on WinXX).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   109 days left