[Distutils] Sample setup.py for Numeric Python

David Ascher da@ski.org
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 20:58:02 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

> Why is that unacceptable ? After all, package authors do have
> access to the code and know their way around ;-) Better drop
> the old def-file stuff and move to more modern ways of
> intergrating the information into the code...

Well, what strikes me as unacceptable is:

1) it makes creating setup.py files for existing code impossible w/o
   modifying said code.  This will make migration more difficult.

2) it introduces platform-dependencies related to compilers in the code,
   instead of in compiler-spefific metafiles, which seems wrong.

> ...and perhaps add this as backup solution. Note that the /EXPORT:symbol
> you need for every symbol may well fill up the available command
> line argument memory (not sure how much there is on WinXX).

I've never run into it, if it exists.

--david