[Distutils] Guido's announcement of distutils

Joe Van Andel vanandel@ucar.edu
Mon, 03 Apr 2000 09:28:07 -0600

I've just read Guido's description on new features in Python1.6,
including his description of distutils

I'm a bit confused by the description of distutils, since it describes
software that I haven't seen yet, even though I've been using
'distutils'.  Guido describes a setup of m4 macros to generate a
setup.py, which in turn generates a Makefile.  This is a bit different
than building a setup.py, and simply running it to compile and install
extension code.

Are the distutils Guido's describes a superset of the distutils found on
cvs.python.org/projects/cvsroot?   Or have we forked distutils for
Python 1.6?

Joe VanAndel
Internet: vanandel@ucar.edu