[Distutils] Possible fix for sysconfig.py (Win32)

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:37:53 -0400

On 12 April 2000, Lyle Johnson said:
> The call to parse_config_h() in _init_nt() [both found in
> distutils/sysconfig.py] clobbers the previously correct values of PREFIX and
> EXEC_PREFIX for the standard Python installation on Win32. This in turn
> leads to the compiler picking up the wrong Python include file paths (and
> probably other glitches I haven't stumbled onto yet).

Oops!  Hmm, I can't see that happening with the config.h on my Linux
box: does the config.h installed for Windows "#define PREFIX" and
"#define EXEC_PREFIX"?  If so, that's what's going on.

Anyways, commenting out that line is just fine.  In fact, it seems to me
that there is no reason to read config.h on any platform, and very
little reason even to keep that code around.  The information read from
config.h simply isn't used anywhere in the Distutils.  Fred, what's your
take on this?  Should we just ditch the config.h-reading code from
sysconfig.py?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux nerd                                  gward@python.net