[Distutils] PATCH: Expanded tarball abilites

Harry Henry Gebel hgebel@inet.net
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:58:54 -0400

>     if hasattr (os, "pipe"):
>         # use popen2 to detect GNU tar 1.13
>     else:
>         # assume primitive tar
>
> Did you finish the job and hack up "sdist" to use the new base dir
> option (whatever it is)?  If not, go ahead and submit just the detect
> patch -- optionally eliminating the build-tree-of-hard-links step really
> should be a distinct patch.
>
>         Greg

The patch was a washout, it didn't save any time and made the code harder to
understand. I liked it at two in the morning, but after looking at it when
I was wide awake I think the current way is better.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS
West Dover Hundred, Delaware

"Why do you look for the living among the dead?
He is not here, but has risen."
Luke 24:5 (NRSV)