[Distutils] Patch for new install options

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:31:38 -0400

On 25 April 2000, I said:
> Anyways, the idea is this: if you want to do a fake install prior to
> creating an RPM (or what-have-you), you can do this:
>
>     ./setup.py install \
>       --prefix='/tmp$sys_prefix' --exec-prefix='/tmp$sys_exec_prefix'
>
> ...and that does more or less what you might expect.  Update your
> Distutils to the latest CVS -- I'll check this change in shortly -- to
> see what I mean.

I forgot to mention that (I think) this will require an extra run of the
setup script compared to Harry's scheme: one to do the fake install to
/tmp/usr/lib/python1.5, and one to get the list of files (ie. "setup.py
install --record-install").  This doesn't bother me a bit, in fact I
think it makes more sense than trying to do them both at the same time.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - programmer-at-large                         gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/