[Distutils] Patch for new install options

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:14:47 -0400

On 25 April 2000, Mark W. Alexander said:
> If I'm following the --package-prefix theme properly, it's
> very much in line with RPM's BUILDROOT, and install tree
> used for 2 very important reasons. First, the package
> builder need not be root to produce a binary package
> that installs in directories that only root can write
> to. Second, it provides for relocatable binary RPM's.

Yeah, I think Harry and you won, although I implemented it differently
from Harry's --package-prefix patch.  Try "install --root=/tmp" and see
how it works for you.  (It works for me)!

> While I'm still catching up here: Has anyone stepped up
> to do either Solaris bdist-pkgtool or HP-UX bdist-depot?
> If not, it looks like a good way for me to start wading
> in.

No, please wade right in.  You might want to wait a few days until I
have fixed "bdist_dumb" to use the latest changes to "install", and
until Harry and I agree on what "bdist_rpm" should look like.  Or go
ahead and start playing around, but be prepared to hack your "bdist_xxx"
commands up when I change my mind about how things should look.
Yeah, on second thought, start playing around... rearranging Python code
is cheap.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix geek                                   gward@python.net