[Distutils] sdist.py::findall chokes on broken links

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:39:38 -0400

On 27 July 2000, Bastian Kleineidam said:
> if the Distutils bail out on broken links we will run into problems with
> Debian packages. I am calling the dh_undocumented script which generates
> the link
> debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man1/linkchecker.1.gz -> ../man7/undocumented.7.gz
> which is broken only temporarily, but not after installing the generated
> .deb package.

Oh, bother!

OK, I'll try to come up with a decent fix for this.  Now that the "grope
about the filesystem looking for stuff" code has been factored out of
sdist.py, I think this is the place to detect broken links.  Then it's
just a question of making sure the "find all modules in package X" code
in build_py.py uses file_list.py.

I think this will have to wait until after 0.9.1, unless someone
presents me with an irresistably perfect patch in the next 24 hours.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - geek-on-the-loose                           gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/