[Distutils] Numeric-16.0 problem

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Thu Aug 31 12:40:02 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Paul F. Dubois writes:
>  > And THAT works? comparison of tuples is lexographic? Really?
>  > This sig is full of odd things.
>=20
>   The values in the tuple are integers, not strings:
>=20
> Python 2.0b1 (#248, Aug 31 2000, 00:55:23)  [GCC 2.95.3 19991030 (prere=
lease)] on linux2
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> Copyright 1995-2000 Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI=
)
> (2, 0, 0, 'beta', 1)
>=20
>   The values for the fourth entry are specifically chosen so that
> lexicographic comparison works:
>=20
>   "alpha" < "beta" < "candidate" < "final"
>=20
>=20
>   -Fred
>=20
> --=20
> Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
> BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member

What I meant was that I hadn't known that comparison of tuples was meanin=
gful
at all; evidently you are teaching me that the comparisons of tuples are
lexographic in the sense that it compares the first entries and only proc=
eeds
to the next component if the first entries are equal, etc. Python is full=
 of
little surprises, almost always pleasant.