[Distutils] Re: problems on irix

Randall Hopper aa8vb@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 09:27:02 2000

Pete J Shinners:
 |i am using the distutils that comes with the python2.0 release.
 |on irix there seems to be a problem with variable name expansion.
 |all the installations go to funky directories like this...
 |
 |$platbase/lib/python$py_version_short/site-packages
 |$base/include/python$py_version_short/$dist_name
 |btw, my python is installed to /usr/local, so these paths should
 |be expanding to something like
 |has this been fixed? can it be fixed soon?

I'm running Python 2.0 distutils on IRIX with no problems.  Distutils
builds install to the correct directory (the one I installed Python to).
I'm one satisfied customer.  Note that I built with --prefix and
--exec-prefix, but that's probably not relevent.

Do a "which python" (or "whence python" for sh/ksh/bash).  Are you sure
you're running "python setup.py install" using the python binary you think
you are?

Also, run that python and try:

   > python
   Python 2.0 (#2, Nov  1 2000, 12:06:44) [C] on irix646-n32
   >>> import sys
   >>> print sys.prefix
   /home/rhh/software/python2
   >>> print sys.exec_prefix
   /home/rhh/software/python2/PLATFORM/plat-irix646-n32

You probably should read:
     http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/doc/inst.pdf
and check out the --home and --prefix options.  Also read up on config
files.  Sounds like they might be useful to you.

Good luck.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@yahoo.com