Finding VC (Was: Re: [Distutils] WinNT and distutils)

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:37:41 +0100

I propose the following:

1. Convince Guido to give python 1.6 registry access in the core.
I'm currently working on such a module.

2. (>=1.6) Use the registry to find Path, Include, and Lib
directories for VC, and supply them on the command line.

3. (<1.6) Try to import win32api and win32con, and use Robins
code to find the directories. If this also fails, inform the user
that the environment must be set up for VC by running
vcvars32.bat, and restarting setup.py.
 Note that it also may be possible the VC is not installed at all!

I think we should come to a conclusion here, and offer Greg some tested
patches.
I'm willing to work on this.

Thomas Heller