[Distutils] RE: [Python-Dev] Proposal: Registry access for Python on Windows

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:49:52 +0000

In article <ECEPKNMJLHAPFFJHDOJBCEAECEAA.mhammond@skippinet.com.au>,
Mark Hammond <mhammond@skippinet.com.au> writes
>> I only vaguely recollect what caused me to object against the coding
>> style, but I think it was a lot of little things: // comments, lines
>> longer than 78 chars, unusual indentation style.  It was also somehow
>> requiring C++ (everything in the core is plain C).  I tried to do a
>> style conversion myself, but found it very painful -- plus there were
>> some dependencies on other files or modules that seemed to require me
>> to pull in a lot of other things besides win32api.c.
>
>OK - that is a good enought list for me to get started.  If no one else
>steps up within a week I will make an attempt at a module that meets these
>requirements....
>
>Mark.

I'm having a quick scan at this. It seems to go quite deeply into
PyWinHandles, PyWinObjects etc etc. I question the wisdom of trying to
rip out a chunk from win32api.cpp and making it exactly compatible with
the remainder of Mark+others' stuff. Leaving two very similar registry
api's seems a recipe for disaster&confusion. Another solution is to
split win32api in two (win32api' + win32reg). That means duplicating all
the bits like handle open/close unicode string handling etc etc. This
looks just about doable, but will lead to maintenance problems and will
no doubt interact with unicode features of 1.6. I see that win32api.pyd
is 57kB which is smaller than bsddb.pyd. Including all of win32api will
probably cause even more GvR style issues.
--
Robin Becker