[Distutils] Compiling / Installing extensions

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:06:38 -0500

On 07 February 2000, Robin Becker said:
> being right doesn't help. The proper thing to do is somehow to get the
> right value for .pyds and or .dlls
>
> Greg does the higher level give any indication whether this is a python
> only thing or a normal dll?

For now, the Distutils command classes only build DLLs (shared libraries
or shared objects, whatever you want to call them) that are Python
extensions.  The compiler classes don't know that, though, and there's
no guarantee that it'll stay that way in the future.

As I've said, I favour hacking sysconfig.py.  That means the PYD/DLL
distinction is entirely filename based.  Will that work?

> You do
> cl -c -Z7 dingo.c
> link dingo.obj ...other.obj /incremental:no /pdb:NONE /debug
> /debugtype:cv /export:initdingo /out:dingo.pyd
>
> and no pdb file. I checked and it seems as though this results in files
> that can still be debugged provided you can find the .c files.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I strongly favour putting debug info in the
executable or DLL or .so or whatever it's called.  It's been that way in
Unix since time immemorial, so IMHO it's good enough for Python
extensions under Windows.  ;-)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix weenie                                 gward@python.net