[Distutils] Compiling / Installing extensions

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:52:50 +0000

In article <20000208202001.A487@beelzebub>, Greg Ward <gward@python.net>
writes

>A question for the crowd (especially Windows extension developers)
>before I give in: have you ever needed to define a .def file to link
>your extensions?  Or, more bluntly, is Thomas correct, that a
>COM-aware extension might need to export more symbols than 'initfoo'?
>No offense Thomas, I just want to make sure that this ugly hack really
>is needed.
>
>        Greg

It may be convenient to just provide a list of the exported symbols. The
_numpy extension has quite a few things it wants to export. A
disadavantage is that adding a new exportable requires editing two
files. The .def may get forgotten. It won't matter till it's acutally
needed. In the _numpy case it may be sometime before the C api actually
gets used.
--
Robin Becker