[Distutils] Stylistic comments

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:38:45 +0100

From: Greg Ward <gward@python.net>
> Hi all (especially Robin and Thomas!) --
>
> Also, the real reason I went off on this tangent was because we get an
> even *worse* traceback than before now on machines without MSVC++
> (eg. my Linux box being told to use an MSVCCompiler object, which used
> to work just fine in dry-run mode).  In particular, it blows up because
> 'get_devstudio_versions()' returns None, but '_find_exe()' expects a
> sequence.  My inclination is to fix 'get_devstudio_versions()' to always
> return a list, empty if the imports failed.  Ditto for
> 'get_msvc_paths()' for consistency.  Anyone see a problem with this?

As Robin already said, this had been fixed some time ago, but it
somehow made it back in my version.
I have to admit that the patch I sent last night was not the latest
one Robin and I had agreed on. It was the newest one I had on
my harddrive though...

Attached is another msvccompiler.py (zipped),
and hopefully Robin can agree on this one.
I've already included the doc-strings Robin has
supplied.

BTW: What is the preferred format posting sourcecode to the list?
AFAIK, zipped attachments are not so nice in the archive,
unpacked source-code has the white-space problem in
Outlook Express, which I'm using here...

As soon as you extend the distutils framework to use
temp-directories for building, I will submit a patch for msvc
again.

Thomas