[Distutils] Installing Numeric and linking against libpython.so

James L. Preston jlp@apti.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:06:28 +0000

I am trying to upgrade my Numeric, etc. and I seem to have a problem
with the distutils
setup.  Everything appears to install fine, but when I import Numeric, I
get the message
>> import Numeric
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Numeric/Numeric.py", line
76, in ?
    import multiarray
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Numeric/multiarray.so: symbol
PySequence_Length: referenced symbol not found

I believe that this is the result of the multiarray.so, not being linked
with libpython.
I have tried to understand where I can put this option in the setup.py,
etc. but I must
say that I am a bit baffled.  I am using Solaris 2.6 on an UltraSPARC.
I am not a big shared library expert, but I think that on Solaris, it is
necessary to
tell one .so file where to find the functions from the other .so files
that it may be calling,
if you know what I mean.  Any suggestions.

Thanks,
jim preston
jlp@apti.com