[Distutils] First incompatible change: 'dist' command is dead

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:09:37 -0500

Hi all --

those of you following the Distutils CVS archive should be aware that
I've just checked in the first incompatible change: the "dist" command
is gone, replaced by "sdist".  Like its predecessor, "sdist" exists to
create a source distribution.  Unlike its predecessor, there is now an
explicit MANIFEST.in/MANIFEST model, meaning that any developers using
Distutils now will have to rewrite their old MANIFEST files as a
MANIFEST.in.  The syntax is *not* what I proposed last week here; I
think I've come up with something better.  (I.e. I implemented my
proposal and it didn't work too well.  I came up with something new and
a went ahead and implemented before I could poke any holes in it.)

For now, the documentation for the MANIFEST.in (aka "the manifest
template file") syntax consist of the Distutils manifest template and
the 'read_template()' method in distutils/command/sdist.py.  Use the
Source, Luke!

...but seriously, I'll try to write up some notes on how to write
manifest templates soon.  It's a small but important feature.

        Greg