[Distutils] Second incompatible change: command class renamings

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:43:11 -0500

Hi again --

I've just commited a second batch of incompatible changes: the renaming
of several command class attributes and methods has been done.  In
particular,

  options -> user_options                      (class attribute)
  set_default_options -> initialize_options    (method)
  set_final_options -> finalize_options        (method)

I posted on Jan 30 about the reasons for doing this -- if you're
curious, I'm sure you can find it in the archive.

This will break code for anyone who's defining their own command
classes, in particular the NumPy setup script.  This just means NumPy
users should stick to 0.1.3 and not follow the CVS archive, which I
expect they're doing anyways.  It does mean the NumPy setup script will
have to change for the next release of Distutils -- which I expect to be
1.0, bundled with Python 1.6.

Oh, I also bumped the version in the Distutils setup script to "0.2pre",
not because there is going to be a release 0.2, but just to remind
everyone of these incompatible changes.

And I cvs-tagged the pre-incompatibility versions of everything with
"pre_0_2_breakage", just in case you need the absolute latest code that
still works with the NumPy setup script.

        Greg