[Distutils] WinNT and distutils

David Ascher dascher@mindspring.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 14:51:00 -0800

From: Michael Hudson <mwh21@cam.ac.uk>

> "Thomas Heller" <thomas.heller@ion-tof.com> writes:
>
> > The conclusion is:
> > You can not do too much under NT when you cannot look into the registry.
> > (That reminds me of the 'good old times' when every program added its
own
> > directory
> > to the PATH ;-)
>
> How hard are registry files to parse? They're just text aren't they?
> (not on windows, can't tell). Would a simple parser written in Python
> be even vaguely possible?

No.  Registry files are not text files.  We're talking about the windows
registry here.

Registry access functions should be put in the 1.6 tree.  I'll talk to Mark
about figuring out which subset is needed for common things.

If I were Greg, I'd write code to see if the functions were available, use
them if they were, and give it the best shot if they're not.  Lowest-common
denominator leaves everyone running CP/M.

--david