[Distutils] Re: Re distutils and numpy

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 19:13:44 -0400

On 06 July 2000, Paul F. Dubois said:
> I found an error in the previous setup.py; it was installing headers
> in include/python1.6/Numerical instead of Numeric. This apparently
> gets fixed if you change the name of the package (which I otherwise
> thought didn't do anything.)

That's a feature.  If Joe Blow releases an extension that requires the
headers from NumPy, he should just have to specify, "I require the
headers for <fill-in-the-blank>" and have Distutils take care of the -I
paths for him.  (It doesn't do this currently, but it could and should!)

Don't tell me I'm the only one who's confused about whether it's
"NumPy", "Numerical Python", or "Numeric Python", and whether the above
blank should be filled in with "Numeric" or "Numerical".

BTW, the distribution name is also used, obviously, to create source and
built distributions.  So naming the header file directory after it is
not without precedent.  (It does have the subtle side-effect that
distribution names should be valid as part of the filename in C #include
statements.  I have no idea what restrictions that imposes... but it's
probably just common sense to stick to [a-zA-Z0-9_-] in distribution
names and filenames.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix geek                                   gward@python.net