[Distutils] Suggested directory convention

Mark W. Alexander mwa@gate.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 21:44:04 -0400 (EDT)

I like it alot!

It could also hold package install scripts that aren't really
part of the distribution but are necessary for packaging
binary distributions. I use this convention for my Solaris/HP
(non-python) packages by having a "pkgfiles" directory that
installed either under the package directory, or if the
package was installed in /usr or /usr/local, it went to
/var/pkgfiles/pkg-name. This makes the binary package re-
creatable on any system that it's installed on (unlike
RPM, these package managers don't require the source).

In some cases, I would like to do the same with Python
packages, e.g. have the "dist" directory installed under
the package installation directory. It's frequently
usefull to have access to pre/post install scripts
at other times, and they're generally not big enough to
be a space concern.

Mark Alexander
mwa@gate.net