[Distutils] Suggested directory convention

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Wed, 31 May 2000 22:34:55 -0400

On 31 May 2000, Harry Henry Gebel said:
> And binary package making commands like bdist_rpm could look in the
> directory to find the default scripts, which would make one less thing to
> put into package_data (in fact, maybe this could almost eliminate
> package_data if configuration, build, and install scripts were placed here,
> I think most other parts of package_data could be moved into setup.py as
> meta-data.)

Actually, tonight I started work on making package_data entirely
obsolete by putting that information in the config file, setup.cfg.
Here's what it would look like:

[bdist_rpm]
release = 3
packager = Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@inet.net>
doc = CHANGES.txt
      README.txt
      USAGE.txt
      doc/
      examples/

changelog =
  * Wed May 31 2000 Greg Ward <gward@python.net> 0.8.3pre-1
  - Hacked up bdist_rpm.py, moved meta-data into setup.cfg

  * Thu May 10 2000 Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@inet.net> 0.8.2-3
  - Added new options to package_data

  * Tue May 09 2000 Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@inet.net> 0.8.2-2
  - Include RPM_OPT_FLAGS in distutils

  * Wed Apr 26 2000 Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@inet.net> 0.8.2-1
  - First test of bdist_rpm

Look familiar?  There are some whitespace issues with the changelog, and
I don't see a good way to map your multi-locale "summaries" and
"descriptions" dictionaries to options in the config file.  Maybe a
complicated string like "key: value, key: value", but it would have to
be shlex'd to allow quoting keys and values.  The code's in upheaval at
the moment, so not checked in.  But I did check in some other changes to
bdist_rpm that you should keep on top of!

Oops, that was off-topic as hell.  Oh well.  Sounds like the "dist"
directory is a winner.  Now I just have to figure out what goes there
and what goes in "build/bdist.<plat>/<format>"...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux nerd                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/