[Distutils] distutil install

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:23:51 -0400

On 23 June 2000, Michel Sanner said:
> I got the OpenDX Python wrapper from Randall Hopper and asked him why the .so
> wrapping the DX library ends up not int he package directory but in
> $exec_prefix/lib/python/site-packages.

If you name an extension "foo" (no dots) it winds up in
site-packages/foo.so.

> I feel that it would nicer to have the .so along with all other files of the
> package in $exec_prefix/lib/python/site-packages/DX.

Then the extension should be named "DX.foo" -- IOW, the package of an
extension is unrelated to the package of any pure Python modules in the
same distribution, unless you explicitly make them the same.  (This is a
feature, but I don't think it's documented yet.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - just another Python hacker                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/