[Distutils] Comments on bdist_wininst

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:19:28 -0400

On 28 June 2000, Bastian Kleineidam said:
> >Some thoughts... these are mostly idle speculation, because I really
> >can't see anything wrong with the code!
> Hmm, why dont I have my data files in the installer? I can not see them.
> Is bdist_wininst only for modules because you run the zip tool only in the
> site-packages dir:
> changing into
> 'build/bdist.linux2/wininst/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/'
> zip -rq /home/calvin/projects/linkchecker/linkchecker-1.2.4.win32.zip .

I think that's a known bug -- there're some comments in the code about
it:

        # XXX hack! Our archive MUST be relative to sys.prefix
        # XXX What about .install_data, .install_scripts, ...?
        # [Perhaps require that all installation dirs be under sys.prefix
        # on Windows?  this will be acceptable until we start dealing
        # with Python applications, at which point we should zip up
        # the application directory -- and again everything can be
        # under one dir --GPW]

(The first two are Thomas', the third is mine.)

> Another thing: the "..." directory browse button of the installer does not
> work for me under Win98 SE2.

Hmm, I'll have to let the Windows experts deal with that.  Thomas' C
code (and other project files) is now in CVS, so you can have at it.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - nerd                                        gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/