[Distutils] Upheaval in build commands: almost done!

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:16:19 -0500

Hi all --

as I mentioned last night, I've been hacking on the build_* commands
lately, with the goal of putting all temporary compiler by-products
under build/temp.<plat>, and allowing "in-place" building of extensions.

Everything is done now, and for the most part It Works For Me (TM).  (I
just remembered that I haven't tested the new --inplace option on the
build_ext command -- arg!)  Windows support isn't there yet -- I have to
hack on the MSVCCompiler class a bit, and I think I will take advantage
of this to reduce overlap and increase uniformity between UnixCCompiler
and MSVCCompiler -- ie. it'll take parallel printouts and a couple of
hours, so I'll save it for tomorrow.

Anyways, if you're a on a Unix-y platform, please check out the latest
CVS and try building some distributions with extensions and/or C
libraries.  NumPy and PIL are as usual the canonical examples (setup
script free with the Distutils!), but if you're feeling adventurous you
might try distutilizing some other distribution.

Oh yeah, the setup.py currently distributed with NumPy won't work with
the CVS version of Distutils; you'll have to replace it with
examples/numpy_setup.py.  It was the renaming thing in command classes
that did it, y'know.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix weenie                                 gward@python.net