[Distutils] additional Flags for build_ext

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:49:51 -0500

On 21 March 2000, Berthold Hoellmann said:
> I think it would be extremly helpfull for developing Python Extensions
> to be ditributed using Distutils to have an option "--additional-flags"
> where I could give addional flags for the C compiler, e.g. to ask for
> specific compiling or optimization flags. What do you think about it?

Good idea, except I'd call it "--extra-args" for consistency with the
CCompiler interface.  Eg.

    python setup.py build_ext --extra-args="-O666 --funky-option"

...or something like that.  Would this be a single string to split on
spaces, or would we require multiple --extra-args arguments, or would
--extra-args somehow take a list of arguments (eg. comma-separated)?

Opinions?

        greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux bigot                                 gward@python.net