[Distutils] Problems on NT

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:47:46 +0100

In article <20000328225050.A1109@beelzebub>, Greg Ward
<gward@python.net> writes
>On 28 March 2000, Thomas Heller said:
>> 1. msvccompiler.py defines a method _find_exe(),
>> but uses find_exe().
>
>Easy fix -- thanks.  Will check it in shortly.
>
>> 2. The python/libs directory is no longer
>> included in library_dirs when linking extensions.
>
>Hmmm.  Was it ever?  And why is this necessary?  Is it so extensions can
>link against Python.dll, or is it something else?
>
>Anyone out there been following the recent CVS tumult and trying to
>build stuff on Windows?
>
>Thomas (or anyone else on a Windows box with access to the anonymous CVS
>tree), if you're feeling hardy, you could try rolling back the
>command/build_ext.py file one revision at a time until either 1) the
>problem goes away or 2) things blow up horribly because of other
>incompatibilities.  If #2 occurs, try rolling back all of Distutils a
>week at a time, or maybe 2-3 days at a time.  Let me know if you want
>help with the CVS trickery to do this.
>
>        Greg
libs is supposed to hold stuff ending in .lib under win32. These could
be static libraries or the export library for .dlls or other .pyds which
another extension might want to be linked against.
--
Robin Becker

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:16:05 -0700
From: Joseph VanAndel <vanandel@ucar.edu>
To: Greg Ward <gward@python.net>
Subject: Re: [Distutils] patch to change order of -I's in build_ext.py
Sender: distutils-sig-admin@python.org

Greg Ward wrote:

> BTW, Is anyone in the NumPy community keeping on top of Distutils?
> There have been a *lot* of changes since 0.1.3 was released in January,
> and I have been rather free with making incompatible changes (because
> there's no way I'm gonna be able to get away with them after Python
> 1.6/Distutils 1.0 are out).  I've also been keeping my
> examples/numpy_setup.py script up-to-date with the changes, in hopes
> that some eager NumPy hacker will keep an eye on the changes in
> Distutils and be ready to update NumPy's real setup script when the time
> comes.  Am I being overly optimistic?

I simply used your examples/numpy_setup.py script with the latest
Numeric Python CVS version, and it worked (Solaris 2.6 and RH6.1).
There was a message from one frustrated Numeric Python users that didn't
care for the pace of changes in distutils, since Numeric Python doesn't
ship with a Makefile anymore.  But as of this morning (3/28/00), I could
grab the latest distutils, install them, copy examples/numpy_setup.py to
Numeric/setup.py, and build.