[Distutils] Update bdist_rpm patch

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Thu, 4 May 2000 21:46:22 -0400

On 27 April 2000, Harry Henry Gebel said:
> One important consideration for --arch : Unless ./setup.py can be made to
> recognize the rpm's CFLAGS it will generate the same object code no matter
> what architecture you specify.

That's a feature.  No way do I plan to support cross-compiling in the
Distutils.  Quick, when was the last time anybody cared about
cross-compiling?  ;-)

My original reasoning for wanting the --arch option to "bdist_rpm" was
to set the "build arch" string for binary RPMs.  My thinking was that
"bdist_rpm" wouldn't have anything better than the value returned by
'distutils.util.get_platform()' to go by, meaning it would use (eg.)
"linux2-i586" when it should really use "i386".  (At least, those are
the values returned by 'get_platform()' and used by RPM on my system.)

However, I may have been wrong -- ie. it looks as though RPM is smart
enough to put in the "right" build arch string itself.  The only thing
Distutils would have to do, then, is set it to "noarch" if there are no
extensions -- ie. if this is a pure Python module distribution.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux geek                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/