[Distutils] Instructions for bdist_rpm

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Thu, 4 May 2000 22:22:22 -0400

On 04 May 2000, Harry Henry Gebel said:
> My own personal reason is so I can add an option to use bztar for the
> source code; rpm supports bzip2 with `rpm -ba` but not `rpm -ta`. And I
> think Greg is right that they shouldn't have to include the spec file in
> the RPM, it's just a requirement as long as I am using `rpm -ta`,
> switching to `rpm -ba` would eliminate that to.

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction to me, so I assume
another version of the patch is forthcoming.  For the record, I think
all are agreed here: no need to support patches in Distutils-generated
RPMs, better to use -b than -t, and preferable not to require including
the .spec file in the source distribution.  I don't see a burning need
for bzip2 support, but if you can work it in cleanly (like with the
"sdist" command) go ahead.

Before you do send another version of the patch, though, I have one
small request: lowercase_method_names please, not camelCase!  It's the
convention I've used throughout the Distutils (and in pretty much every
line of C, Python, and Perl I've written in the last 4 or 5 years), and
I'd rather keep the code consistent.  Thanks!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - nerd                                        gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/