[Distutils] Instructions for bdist_rpm

Harry Henry Gebel hgebel@inet.net
Fri, 5 May 2000 00:54:51 -0400

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 10:22:22PM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 04 May 2000, Harry Henry Gebel said:
> > My own personal reason is so I can add an option to use bztar for the
> > source code; rpm supports bzip2 with `rpm -ba` but not `rpm -ta`. And I
> the .spec file in the source distribution.  I don't see a burning need
> for bzip2 support, but if you can work it in cleanly (like with the
> "sdist" command) go ahead.

Yes I am planning on using sdist to generate the bzipped tarball, and it
is going to be an option, leaving gzip as the default. The main reason is
to shrink the size of the source RPM (it will have no effect on the binary
RPM since rpm has no options (yet) supporting changing compression methods
in binary RPMs).

> Before you do send another version of the patch, though, I have one
> small request: lowercase_method_names please, not camelCase!  It's the
> convention I've used throughout the Distutils (and in pretty much every
> line of C, Python, and Perl I've written in the last 4 or 5 years), and
> I'd rather keep the code consistent.  Thanks!

Sorry, force of habit. I noticed the convention used in Distutils and made
a note to use it, but forgot the note! The names will be changed in the
next patch.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS
West Dover Hundred, Delaware