[Distutils] Where to find config files

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Sun, 7 May 2000 11:49:51 -0400

Hi all --

I've finally started coding the Distutils config file stuff, now that I
actually have a design of sorts on paper.  Anyways, one little
procedural issue: how many config files should there be, and where to
find them?  Here's my initial stab at a policy:

    def find_config_files (self):
        """Find as many configuration files as should be processed for this
        platform, and return a list of filenames in the order in which they
        should be parsed.  The filenames returned are guaranteed to exist
        and be readable (modulo nasty race conditions).

        On Unix, there are three possible config files: pydistutils.cfg in
        the Distutils installation directory (ie. where the top-level
        Distutils __inst__.py file lives), .pydistutils.cfg in the user's
        home directory, and setup.cfg in the current directory.

        On Windows and Mac OS, there are two possible config files:
        pydistutils.cfg in the Python installation directory (sys.prefix)
        and setup.cfg in the current directory."""

Code forthcoming...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net