[Distutils] Re: using distutils for compiling PyXML0.5.4

Greg Ward gward@ase.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 20:08:13 -0400

On 11 May 2000, F. Oliver Gathmann said:
> I was trying to get the new PyXML (v. 0.5.4) compiled with distutils v.
> 0.8.1, and besides some tweaking of pyexpat.c I had to make sure the
> directory path for the
> temporary import library was generated, as shown in the attached patch
> to build_ext.py (BTW, this was on a Win98 machine).

Hmmm, I thought someone else had reported this, and I thought it had
been fixed.  Can you try Distutils 0.8.2 and see if if it works any
better?

From looking at the code, though, it looks like this bug is still there.
Can anyone on the SIG enlighten me about this bug?  It looks like an
easy fix, so I'll do it now.

BTW, Oliver -- thanks for the patch, but it's *much* better to submit
full context diffs!  Your patch was against out-of-date code, so the
line numbers were wrong; plus, it didn't contain any filename; finally,
it was a plain vanilla diff, which is much less useful than a context or
unified diff.  (Use "diff -c" for context diffs, or "diff -u" for
unified.  Either one is fine by me.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - programmer-at-large                         gward@python.net