[Distutils] Suggested additions to function argument list

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 12 May 2000 20:58:25 +0200

> I'd prefer not to *require* a .DEF file, since by convention most people
> will name their module initialization function "init" + modulename. The
> compiler class can then generate the def-file on the fly (if needed) and
use
> it appropriately. The terminally clever developer who wants the (private)
> name of his module initialization function to be something else would be
> required to provide a .DEF file which exports that function as "init" +
> module, though -- there's obviously no way for distutils to guess that.

Is this possible? I think when you 'import extension' python looks
for extension.dll or extension.pyd, then tries to locate and call
'void initextension (void)' and will fail if this is not found.

> By the way: again unlike Microsoft, Borland's linker prepends an
underscore
> to exported functions' names, so the automatically-generated .DEF file for
> BorlandCCompiler will need to look something like this:
>
> EXPORTS
>     initmodule=_initmodule
More reason to generate the def-file.

BTW: If you change the CCompiler (and derived classes) function signatures
I'm willing to test this for the MS case. Another reason to update my
distutils...

Thomas