[Distutils] the build_scripts patch

Bastian Kleineidam calvin@cs.uni-sb.de
Mon, 22 May 2000 13:31:05 +0200 (CEST)

I submitted a patch to Greg against the latest Snapshot release. It is
too big to include it here, but a list of changes follows:

- new command build_scripts: copy all scripts in build/scripts. If the
first line of a script begins with "#!" and ends with "python",
write the path to the current Python interpreter in this line.

- bug fixed in dist.py: import sysconfig for win32 platforms.

- new function Command.create_tree which calls util.create_tree.

- install_misc is now the base class for all install commands

- install_data now creates leading directories of the files you supply
and copies the files in these directories.
So for example pixmaps/open.xpm gets installed in
<self.install_data>/pixmaps/open.xpm and not in
<self.install_data>/open.xpm

I think the last point is a convenient way to install data in
different directories. Another way (like in automake) is to supply for
each set of filenames a different directory in which the files are
going to be installed, but I like my solution better.

Bastian Kleineidam